lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

Kepler's Dream - Juliet Bell I really liked the bones of this story (who doesn't like stories about a precocious young girl, bravely facing her mother's illness, surrounded by a cast of eccentric characters) but the execution of it was not great. The editing was terrible -- there were several instances when the characters were described as wearing different clothes than they started out in. Also, as someone who has lived in Albuquerque for the past eight years, I couldn't figure out where the grandmother's house was supposed to be, or why the main character kept describing the summer nights as being cold. I have never been cold at night in Albuquerque in July. I couldn't tell if the author had never been here, or had not been here in such a long time that she couldn't remember it, or if she had been to another part of the state (like Santa Fe or Taos) and was trying to apply the aspects of those towns to Albuquerque. Disappointing read.