lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

Straphanger: Saving Our Cities and Ourselves from the Automobile - Taras Grescoe I have been excited to read this book for the past year, and now that I have finally gotten around to it, it is something of a disappointment. Personally, I prefer to live close to city centers with good public transit; I have been happily living in such a place for the past several years. However, I was put off by the author's bias to city living. He seemed just as inflexible as the people who believe everyone should live in suburbs, work from home, and drive everywhere else. The fact that he seems so firmly set on subways and trains doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I understand that buses don't really do the enviroment any favors, but to rid all cities of buses in favor of subways and trains seems expensive, impractical, and inconvenient. (Although, like the author, I fell in love with the Paris metro when I was 18. It has spoiled me for any other public transit system. I would LOVE to have one just like it in my city!)
I so wanted to like this book, and was excited to read it, hoping to get ideas of how to better utilize public transit, but while I agreed with a lot of the author's thoughts on the matter, I just couldn't get past his one-sidedness. (Is that a term? It is now)