lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America - Jeff Chu Can't wait to read this book, just waiting for my free copy to arrive!

It took me awhile to get into this book, but once I did I appreciated the journey the author wrote about, to discover how people in America deal with being gay in their Christian communities. As someone who didn't grow up in the Christian faith I was at times disbelieving as to how someone could want to stay with a group that treats them so badly because of their sexual orientation. But while reading this book I came to understand that for so many people their churches offer a deep sense of community and family and to walk away from that is not an option. At times I was a little bored reading about church service after church service, but the stories of the people Jeff Chu talked to on his odyssey were interesting and touching. (I was especially fascinated with Jake and Elizabeth, who are married even though Jake feels attraction toward men.) I don't agree with how Christians are so cruel to anyone who doesn't follow their creed to the letter of their interpretation of the Bible, but after reading this book I feel more open minded about how they view their beliefs. Overall, I really enjoyed this book, and I hope it offers solace to some people out there.