lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

The Aviator's Wife - Melanie Benjamin I've loved Melanie Benjamin's other books, and I have always admired her ability to get into the mind of history's forgotten women. Alice I Have Been and The Autobiography of Mrs. Tom Thumb are among my favorite historical novels, but I just couldn't get into this one. Maybe it's because Charles Lindbergh has never had any interest for me. However, I love to read books about the 1920s and 1930, and I thought I would enjoy getting to know the story of the Lindberghs.
I didn't enjoy the layout of the story, how the author kept jumping back to 1974, to build up suspense about some great "secret". When it was finally revealed the whole thing felt like a giant letdown. There was nothing about the main character's reaction that felt real to me. The revelation of the so-called secret at the end was almost like an afterthought.
I didn't like the narration as it felt very forced and I never felt like I was reading Anne Lindberghs thoughts. I didn't like the fact that the whole book was in her head so much. I would have preferred to read more dialoge between the characters, although I understand that with a character like Charles Lindbergh there could be no such thing, but I wish the author had written a little more about the Morrow family and about the friends that Anne made later in life.

At least the book reads fast, so I didn't waste too much time with it, but it wasn't as nearly as good as I expected it to be.