lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

Her: A Memoir - Christa Parravani This was one of the books I chose to read based solely on the cover, a haunting photograph of two women poised to shatter. When I started it I didn't know the two women on the cover were twin sisters and that one of them was dead. The book was so painful to read that I can't imagine how horrible it was to actually live through. It was beautifully written though, with the words of the author's twin woven in with her own. I loved the honesty of the book, how she wrote the negative memories of her twin as well as the good ones. She created a loving, yet flawed picture of their relationship with more integrity than I ever would have. Toward the end I got a little bored; that part of the book seemed to be written more for the author's own peace of mind. (The weird chapter where she talks with a psychic is especially strange.) However the last few chapters really bring the story to the best kind of ending, one that makes you glad Christa Parravani got to the other side, so that she could talk about how she did it.