lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

The One and Only Ivan - Patricia Castelao, Katherine Applegate The first half of this book was so depressing I almost didn't finish it. I'm not a huge fan of stories told by animals anyway, and the only reason I kept reading is that I was hoping not to be left with that sad feeling I get when I read those stories. Luckily, the book goes by really really fast (I read the whole thing in one afternoon) and I was very happy at the end. However, I don't know if this is the book I would have awarded the Newberry medal to. It didn't leave me feeling amazing, or super excited. I don't feel like rushing out and telling everyone to read this book right away. It ended up being a good read, but I wouldn't call it a great one.