lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats - Jan-Philipp Sendker At first I was not impressed by this book. The writing didn't seem to flow quite right. The scene where Julia talks to her mother about her relationship with her father fell completely flat -- it just didn't seem like a real conversation, just something thrown in so that the reader would have a reference as to what the mother thinks of the father. Then I got into the story and I found I really liked it, and wanted to keep reading. I actually wish the book had been written as a story about Tin Win and Mi Mi because I think it would have been a lot more powerful, and the narrative wouldn't have been constantly interrupted by moving back in time to Julia and her petty frustrations. I didn't like her and I don't know why the author chose to tell the story through her filter. I would rather have heard the story without her in the background.