lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen - Lucy Knisley I just loved this book! Such a sweet memoir of growing up around food, not just preparing and eating it, but growing it as well. I rarely feel jealous of authors after reading their memoirs, but I was certainly jealous of Lucy Knisley. I've been finding that most cookbooks that are being published these days are about foodies trying to convince people to eat local, fresh foods that will inspire you to love cooking, but most of these cookbooks just don't hit that intended message. (Mostly I think because they come off sounding contemptuous of anyone who doesn't live on a sustainable farm.) This one did without putting in much effort, just giving colorfully illustrated glimpses of of life centered around food. It also doesn't overwhelm the reader with hundreds of recipes, just a few basic ones, several of which I've already tried. I can't wait to get online and discover more about Lucy Knisley!