lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

Eleanor & Park - Rainbow Rowell Today many YA books are about lovely, mysterious girls falling in love with vampires, or other nonsensical characters. Every love story that appears in YA literature doesn't seem at all real to me, and most of relationships in these books are completely ridiculous. Is this really what we felt as teenagers? I don't think so. However, Eleanor and Park presents a beautiful and very real love story.
There are no easy answers in this book. The relationships between every character is nuanced and flawed, yet every one rings of truth, with something that made me feel sad and happy at the same time. This is such a rarity in YA fiction. It was a lot like..... life. A lot like my life as a teenager actually, surrounded by people in situations that weren't unspeakable, but that weren't great. There were no easy answers. There still aren't. That's the way life was when I was a teenager, and the way it is now, and the way it will always be. Somehow Rainbow Rowell understands that and managed to translate it to an incredible young adult novel.
This is one of those books I feel like forcing everyone to read.