lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

In the Shadow of Blackbirds - Cat Winters This was exactly the kind of book I would normally dislike, but for some reason I loved it. I think it was the setting, America in 1918, just weeks before World War I ended, in the height of fear and flu. I have always been fascinated by Spiritualism and things such as the Cottingsley fairies, and Houdini and Doyle's feud over their authenticity. So even though the story seemed a little, um, odd, the mentality of the world at that time made it believable. I can't imagine being alive during such a horrifying time in history. The fact that Mary Shelley was in constant contact with her dead boyfriend was a little weird, even after she got struck by lightning (which was also a little weird). The slang she used seemed out of place in 1918 (did teenage girls get away with saying OK?), however once I started reading it I couldn't stop, and the whole story really captured the paranoia and grim hopelessness of the time.