lisa's reviews

Reading is the only thing in the world I am good at. A lifetime of reading, fifteen years of working in bookstores, and libraries, and an obsession with the written word makes me qualified enough to talk someone's ear off about books.  Now I am getting more ARCs than I have room for in the house.  Let me get back to reading them!

Night Film - Marisha Pessl Film directors Stanislas Cordova reminds me of so far: Robert Rodriguez, Samuel Fuller, Dario Argento, Tod Browning, Mario Bava, Roger Corman

This book was so good, until the last quarter. Then my mind started wandering. I kept losing track of the plot. The twist I kept thinking about (Cordova setting up cameras everywhere in McGrath's life to film the ultimate horror story, every character was an actor hired to make the film come to life) never came. I think the book was just too long, but I felt the ending was rushed, an interesting paradox I've never come across before. Still, when it was good, it was excellent, and I wish Cordova was a real filmmaker. (Or maybe not.)